News from March 2009
March 4, 2009
Fit Rendezvous Earlybird Registration is Open!
Fit Rendezvous is Western Canada’s largest fitness conference. Don’t miss out on earlybird rates.
Conference dates are:
Calgary Mount Royal College
March is Nutrition Month.
Two reliable nutrition resources for you to access:
The Dieticians of Canada have a great website full of nutrition information for you and your clients.
As well, Alberta Milk has extended an offer for AFLCA and CSEP Fitness professionals to sign up for their nutrition newsletter.
March 4, 2009
What’s it All About?
To respond to new trends in exercise and fitness, the AFLCA has implemented a new training model. Now, AFLCA Leaders can be certified in specific designations—and, in more than one designation. We made the change for several reasons:
- To provide professional recognition for the expertise of AFLCA leaders
- To improve access to AFLCA certification
- Find ways for facilities to fill their particular needs and use their existing expertise
What Courses Can Agencies Provide?
The AFLCA will work with your facility to provide courses in any one, or any combination of the following areas:
Fundamental knowledge course requirements for AFLCA certification:
- Exercise Theory
- Group Exercise Fundamentals
New areas of specialization
- Portable Equipment
Old Standards (These courses will continue to be offered)
- Fitness for Older Adults
- Resistance Training
- Aquatic Exercise
Things to Consider
- many facilities find that “bundling” courses is effective, for example bundling Group Exercise Fundamentals with more than one area of specialization such as cycling, and step allows leaders to get the basics, and then specialize in an area of their choice.
- courses must contain AFLCA performance standards and learning objectives
- Qualified Facilitators
- Facilitators must have a combination of post-secondary education and experience in the area they wish to teach.
Then contact AFLCA Program Coordinator, Debbie Ponich.
March 4, 2009
What’s in it for you?
Becoming a Training Facility lets your clients know that you care about the quality of the leaders you hire. it allows you to capitalize on the expertise of your experienced personnel and provide professional development for leaders. It also gives you the “first-look” and hiring opportunity for new AFLCA certified fitness leaders.
Benefits for Training Facilities:
- Subsidies—yes, we pay you to run AFLCA Leader training courses.
- Job postings on the Provincial Fitness Unit Website. This is our most popular page—over 1,000 hits per month to this page alone from certified leaders looking for good places to work!
- Fitness Informer subscription. Our tri-Annual publication, the Fitness Informer is distributed to 3,000 trainers, leaders and agencies.
- Certificate recognizing you as an AFLCA Training Facility.
- Discounts to Provincial Fitness Unit events, including:
- Fit Rendezvous: western Canada’s largest conference for fitness leaders and personal trainers
- Perspectives in Exercise Health and Fitness Conference, held biannually in Banff, Alberta
- Trainers Biennial Conference (TBAC): a conference held specifically for professional development for AFLCA Trainers.
If you are interested in running AFLCA courses, contact the AFLCA Program Coordinator, Debbie Ponich:
email Debbie Ponich