AFLCA leaders must recertify every two years.
To recertify and maintain your certification status, you must:
- attend an 8 hour recertification course or, obtain 12 AFLCA approved continuing education credits by attending conferences or workshops, on-line courses, AFLCA modules or other AFLCA certifications or designation courses. Recertification courses and CEC workshops
- complete a Practical Assessment with an AFLCA Trainer / Assistant Trainer
- provide confirmation of a minimum of 20 hours of practical Leadership over the past two years
- maintain current CPR Level A (current within 1 year – CPR must be renewed annually) CPR Course Location and Dates
- recertification fees: $140.00 total (for one or more specialties)
NOTE: To obtain approval for courses not approved please complete the continuing education credit petition application
You can also earn credits by completing Fitness Informer Quizzes →
- If your AFLCA certification expires AFTER July 1, 2012 = AFLCA Recertification Package – after July 1, 2012
- If your AFLCA certification expires BEFORE June 30, 2012 = AFLCA Recertification Package – before June 30, 2012
Practical Assessment Forms
- Aquatic Exercise Practical Assessment
- Fitness for the Older Adult Practical Assessment
- Resistance Training Practical Assessment
- Choreography Practical Assessment
- Mind Body Practical Assessment
- Cycle Practical Assessment
- Portable Equipment Practical Assessment
- Step Practical Assessment
PLEASE NOTE: Leaders are ONLY required to complete two practical assessments during certification (the initial assessment and one recertification). After the second assessment leaders are exempt from further practical assessments.
If leaders choose to have additional practical assessments they will receive two continuing education credits toward recertification.
Upon Recertification, leaders will have automatic Personal Liability insurance coverage. This coverage will provide $2 million general liability insurance which is a savings of approximately $200 per year. Practicing within the scope of practice of the AFLCA certified fitness leader ensures that you are covered. For additional information click here
Things happen. In the event you are unable to complete your AFLCA re-certification on or before the expiry date, late packages may be accepted. Expired longer than one year, but less than three years – late fees apply. Expired longer than three years – you would need to challenge exams and complete other requirements.
Please note that until your completed re-certification package is received (in full) by our office; your AFLCA accreditation and accompanying insurance are not considered valid.
Need an AFLCA Trainer or Assistant Trainer?
AFLCA Trainers are qualified to run AFLCA courses, and to give practical assessments to individuals seeking to fulfill requirements for their AFLCA certification. We have a contact list of AFLCA Trainers who can provide these services for you.