AFLCA leaders must recertify every two years.
To recertify and maintain your certification status, you must:
- attend an 8 hour recertification course or, obtain 12 AFLCA approved continuing education credits by attending conferences or workshops. Recertification courses and CEC workshops
- complete a Practical Assessment with an AFLCA Trainer / Assistant Trainer
- provide confirmation of a minimum of 20 hours of practical Leadership over the past two years
- maintain current CPR Level A (current within 1 year – CPR must be renewed annually) CPR Course Location and Dates
- recertification fees: $140.00 total (for one or more specialties)
NOTE: To obtain approval for courses not approved please complete the continuing education credit petition application
You can also earn credits by completing Fitness Informer Quizzes →
- Recertification Checklist Form
- Recertification Checklist July 2012 Use this checklist if your expiry date is after July 1, 2012
- Recertification Payment Form
- Recertification Payment Form Use this form if your expiry date is after July 1, 2012
- AFLCA 20 Hour and 8 Hour Recertification Confirmation
Practical Assessment Forms
- Aquatic Exercise Practical Assessment
- Fitness for the Older Adult Practical Assessment
- Resistance Training Practical Assessment
- Choreography Practical Assessment
- Mind Body Practical Assessment
- Cycle Practical Assessment
- Portable Equipment Practical Assessment
- Step Practical Assessment
PLEASE NOTE: Leaders are ONLY required to complete two practical assessments during certification (the initial assessment and one recertification). After the second assessment leaders are exempt from further practical assessments.
If leaders choose to have additional practical assessments they will receive two continuing education credits toward recertification.
Upon Recertification, leaders will have automatic Personal Liability insurance coverage. This coverage will provide $2 million general liability insurance which is a savings of approximately $200 per year. Practicing within the scope of practice of the AFLCA certified fitness leader ensures that you are covered. For additional information click here
Things happen. You may be eligible for a 3 or 6 month extension based on extenuating circumstances. Apply for an extension in writing either via email, fax or letter.
During the extension period you are not considered current, and insurance may not be valid during your extension time.
Please forward all extension requests Attn: AFLCA Certification Coordinator
Need an AFLCA Trainer or Assistant Trainer?
AFLCA Trainers are qualified to run AFLCA courses, and to give practical assessments to individuals seeking to fulfill requirements for their AFLCA certification. We have a contact list of AFLCA Trainers who can provide these services for you.